This one might scare you a bit. Sometimes greens get so old they start to smell kind of bad. That funky decaying smell..
Most people throw them out, but I do this.
The veggies were leftovers not used in the Stir Fry. And the rest of this stuff is just the remnants, so you might want to make up your own combinations.
But adding a cream sauce to sauteed greens on the edge of death is a great idea for saving them.
Eat with toast!
- 4-5 cups greens (lettuce, kale, spinach, etc.)
- 1/4 large onion, diced
- splash of oil
- handful of nuts (I had mixed nuts)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- about 1/2 cup dairy (ok so I used 1/4 cup milk, 1 big spoonful remaining blue cheese dressing, 1 big spoonful remaining bison dip- don’t ask.. imagine using cream cheese, that might be great!)
- 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan, grated
- 2 tbsp chimichurri sauce (spicy green sauce leftover from my favorite Indian food takeout place – maybe you could use a jalapeno or something spicy)
- 1/4 avocado
- toasted baguette slices
Cook up the onion in the oil for a few minutes, then add the greens and saute up for 10 minutes or so until good and wilted. Season and add the nuts.
In a different pan, make a roux by melting butter and adding in the flour. Once cooked in, whisk in the dairy for a few minutes and cheese. Mash in the avocado and spicy sauce. Season.
Add the greens to the cheese sauce, and spread on toast.
oh, I will give you a tip about greens. Take them out of the bag they come in and they will last a lot longer..