I am still wrangling with the fresh tomatoes..
We are trying to keep them fresh in our minds so that we never take them for granted.
Enter, almond tomato pesto on pasta, also know as Pesto Trapanese.
The almonds came from Meg’s lunch snack pack- no way we were wasting these. It gives this sauce a chunky hearty texture that earns its Pesto title (I am a purist).
Now if only I could figure out how to actually pronounce it correctly..
- 14 small plum tomatoes (Romas!), halved
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1.5 ounces raw almonds (one small snack pack or just a small handful)
- handful of fresh basil leaves (like 10?)
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan, shredded (about)
- healthy drizzle of olive oil (like 2tbsp?)
- 1/2 pound spaghetti
- small splash of reserved pasta water (like 1 tbsp?)
- salt and pepper
I cheated. I used my food processor. Put the tomatoes, garlic, almonds, basil, and Parmesan in the processor and blitz until combined but still chunky. Add in a splash of pasta water and a drizzle of olive oil. Blitz again but dont get it smooth. Keep it the good pesto texture. Season to taste.
Of course, cook your pasta al dente, then top with this sauce.
Then you have your choice of toppings. Meg did capers. I did scallions..
Makes enough for 3 (or 4 small meals, or 2 large ones).