These lemon square pastries were brought to the house for a party. They are delicious, but cakey and very sweet, so they don’t really get eaten in my house..
What to do?
We thought, why not make a savory sauce with them..
It turned out wonderful, even if it did have the consistency of hotel gravy sauces…
- 3 small lemon square pastries chopped up finely
- 3 pork chops, thick cut (bone-in)
- some flour
- one big scoop of Greek yogurt
- splash of oil
- a large pat of butter
- lots of salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped and packed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 large dollop dijon mustard (1/2 tablespoon?)
Cover the pork chops in the yogurt and let sit for about an hour. Then dip them in the flour on both sides, shake off the excess, and put into a hot pan with hot oil. Cook for 3 minutes each side and remove from pan.
In the pan, add the lemon squares and slowly whisk in the stock until it all heats up. turn the heat to low. Add the basil, mustard, and seasonings. I like lots of pepper here. You might consider a splash of lemon or vinegar. Then whisk in the butter. Pour over the pork chops and enjoy.
Kind of a strange gravy texture but definitely a deliciously odd taste..