Well, this happened…
Smelt is really cheap at the store, and you can roll it in breadcrumbs and fry it up. Serve it with a dipping sauce made with leftover Greek yogurt, and it is a great seafoody snack..
Like little fish fries.. They are the best with fried asparagus.
- 1/2 pound smelt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (mix in some seasonings or the crumbs of a bag of everything bagel chips if you are holding onto it..)
- 1 handful of leftover asparagus spears
- a lot of oil (I like olive)
- 1 can of white beans (any kind you have)
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Fill a pan with oil about 1/2 inch deep and heat to very hot. Roll the smelt and asparagus in the breadcrumbs and then drop in the oil, 2-3 minutes a side. Place on a paper towel to cool, but season while hot.
Place the white beans, paprika, and yogurt in a blender, and stream in the oil slowly. Add more if you need it to thin out a bit.
Dip the fish and asparagus in the yogurt sauce..