We don’t really do Easter. But I woke up and wanted deviled eggs..
With caramelized onions?
Deviled eggs are all about moderation; add in too much and you are done for. So you have to add in small amounts at a time to find the right flavor balance..
Let me tell you that Easter is not about moderation.
But these eggs are also light and rich and decadent.
That’s more like it..
Ingredients (easily multiplied):
- 3 eggs
- 1 nice spoonful Greek yogurt (or mayo), 2 tbsp?
- a small spoonful Dijon mustard, 1 tbsp?
- ½ tbsp capers and a tiny drizzle of caper juice
- a bit of chopped up caramelized onions, 2 tbsp?
- optional smoked paprika sprinkles and fresh basil strips
Boil the eggs. I do mine in a cold small pot on my gas stove, wait for them to boil, then take them out after 5 minutes. Cool them down, peel them, and then cut in half. Scoop out the yolks.
To the yolks add the yogurt, mustard, capers & juice, onions. You could add anything here but start with tiny amounts. Season it well.
Spoon the insides back into the whites and sprinkle with paprika and basil.